Parent-Babysitter Interview Checklist
Get into interview mode and ask away.
You've already completed the first important steps in the babysitting process: making definite plans to get the heck out of the house, joining Sittercity and posting your cry for help on our job boards. Next up? The interview.
Whether you put your potential sitter through the ringer with every single question on here or whether you use these questions as a loose guideline, Sittercity is here to help you get one step closer to your big night out.
- Do your research, search for information on a potential candidate on news sites, Internet search engines and social media.
- What is it that you like about babysitting?
- What do you look for in an employer/family?
- What is your rate?
- Have you ever been arrested or convicted of a crime?
- Are you OK if a job runs later than planned?
- Do you have a backup ride home in case we cannot drive you?
- How soon will you let us know if you can't do a job?
Background and Experience
- How many years have you been working with children?
- What child care roles have you done in the past? Sitter, nanny, coach, etc.?
- How many families have you cared for and how old were the children?
- Do you have experience in bathing children?
- Do you live nearby? How can you get to jobs with us? Car, etc.?
- What is your course of study in school or what is your full time job?
- Do you have any allergies to cats, dogs or other pets?
- Are you uncomfortable around or scared of any particular pets?
- Do you have any particular religious affiliation that might affect the way you care for our children?
- (For nannies) Do you plan on taking any time off in the next six months?
Training and Safety
- Do you know First Aid?
- Do you know CPR?
- Are you familiar with the Heimlich maneuver?
- Can you swim?
- Are you familiar with emergency numbers?
- Can you drive in an emergency?
- Tell me about a time where you faced a crisis on the job. How did you handle it?
- What would you do with the kids on a day like today?
- What do you do when a child refuses to go to sleep?
- What do you think is the best way to handle tantrums?
- What is your proudest moment in babysitting and why?
- What was your worst experience in child care, and how did you resolve it?
- What kinds of discipline have you implemented in the past Spanking, etc.? Are you willing to change if we ask?
Responsibilities and Tasks
- How do you feel about play dates for my kids? Can you help arrange these?
- Can you care for more kids if we have a play date in the house?
- Are you OK assisting with homework, possibly making dinner and/or doing light housework?
- Are you comfortable watching my child as a mother's helper if I decide to stay home during a job?
- Are you willing to help with overnight care if needed?
- Can you travel with my family if we need you to?
If Newborns are Involved
- Are you comfortable sitting for newborns?
- Can you change a diaper?
- Do you know infant CPR?
- Can you properly carry and pick up a newborn?
- Do you know about SIDS and how to prevent it?
- Can you prepare and heat formula correctly?
- Are you familiar with Shaken Baby Syndrome?
- Do you know the proper size for baby chewables and how to prevent choking?
- Can you tell if a room is childproofed?
If the Sitter will be Driving
- Are you comfortable driving children in the car?
- May I see your driver's license?
- How many years have you been driving?
- Do you have any marks against your driving record (speeding or accidents)?