Care Companion in Alsip, IL 60803.
Looking for part-time work as a care companion.
Enhanced Background Check not run.
Enhanced Background Check(Not Run)
Basic Background Check not run.
Basic Background Check(Not Run)
Motor Vehicle Records Check not run.
Motor Vehicle Records Check(Not Run)
- Age 27
- 0 years paid experience
Last signed in: More than 6 months
Home Care Rates $15 per hour
In Aug. of 2013 my grandmother had a stroke that left her with vascular dementia and therefore unable to live alone. Over the next 4 months I spent over 40 hours a week with her during which time I quickly learned alot! While of course it was emotionally rough seeing her so confused about things, I did find I enjoyed making sure everything around the house was taken care of and that all her needs were met. I'll be clear that I do not have any formal training or certifications but did learn quite a bit from the various home health workers that I met over those 4 months (and continue to meet actually now that she lives in a memory care unit with some of the sweetest, most caring professionals I've encountered yet since her stroke). Below I've detailed what care I provided for her to give the best idea of what exactly my experience in caregiving has been:
- medication reminders
- meal prep
- grocery shopping
- car trips to get take out or small errands, etc.
- making sure she used her cane and followed on stairs or other uneven terrain to steady and provide balance
- daily reminders and some help with personal care routine (i.e. tooth brushing, face washing, curlers, deodorant, put on clean clothes, etc.)
- mental stimulation (i.e. work on what the speech therapist has left, do speech therapy on ipad, jigsaw puzzles, explain whats on TV)
- Work through physical therapy exercises (she wasn't very thrilled about these so we'd usually just go for a nice walk)
- Do laundry
- Dishes, dusting, deep cleaned fridge, wash floors, vacuum, etc.
- Help manage all the various home health workers, over the 4 months she had a nurse, a mental health nurse, a physical therapist, a speech therapist, and a bathing aide and they weren't always the same people, it was sometimes a bit much to keep track of especially when theyre coming up to three times a week and you don't want to overlap some of them!
- Take her to the senior center for luncheons and parties
If you or a senior you're caring for would benefit from this type of care I'd love to help you or your family!
Age Specific Experience
0 years paid experience with:
- 75 to 84 years old
Experience with providing basic care services:
- Conversation and companionship
- Safety supervision
- Meal preparation
- Medication reminders
- Social activities
- Light housekeeping
- Exercise/Physical activities
- Laundry and linen changes
Experience with providing individualized services:
- Medication Assistance
- Assistance with Pets
Availability & Job Preferences
Prefers to provide visiting care
- Short term (1 to 3 months)
- Temporary (4 to 12 months)
- Will consider a full time position
- Start date is flexible
My availability is valid through 5/11/14
- Open (all day, everyday)
|Diane M. is a reference for Jennifer M.||Relationship: Family||Join Now to Contact Reference|
|Theresa S. is a reference for Jennifer M.||Relationship: Friend||Join Now to Contact Reference|