Some parents are able to enroll their child(ren) in an after-school care program, others must find an alternative. One major alternative to an after-school care program is hiring an after-school nanny. Here’s how being an after-school nanny can be a major help to any family.
What Is An After-School Nanny?
Most children end their day at school between the hours of 2-3:30 pm and most parents are not done with their workday until 4-7 pm. Working an average of 20 hours a week, Monday through Friday, an after-school nanny is someone that can handle different tasks while the parents are ending their busy day at work.
What Do After-School Nannies Do?
The ultimate roles and responsibilities of an after-school nanny vary, so as a parent you’ll need to determine your exact needs. This can range from picking children from school to tucking them in bed at night. Here’s a list of some of the things you could do as an after-school nanny:
- Ensure that children are safe and cared for at all times.
- Maintain daily schedule for children and implement routines.
- Transport children, including school pick up and drop-off, scheduled activities, and play dates.
- Help with homework, other school assignments, and provide tutoring as needed.
- Supervise free play and facilitate structured activities.
- Prepare after-school snacks or dinner for children according to their specific needs.
- Handle and facilitate household tasks like completing errands, doing laundry, washing dishes, cleaning up, and tidying with assistance from children.
- Provide an environment that enables children to learn and play and continually be engaged throughout the afternoon/evening.
- Oversee the bedtime routine which could include bathing, brushing teeth, prepping clothes for the next day, and story-time.
An after-school nanny can not only lighten parents’ loads but also ease their mind. The workday can sometimes become hectic and things can happen. As an after-school nanny, you can support families with flexibility, effective communication, problem-solving, patience, and understanding. The ultimate goal is to make the parents’ life easier! Find an after-school nanny job on Sittercity.